Context and Challenges:
- An e-commerce platform with a three-figure growth rate, specialized in selling natural and DIY cosmetics ingredients, with a very engaged community
- The goal was to do a technical due diligence in phase 1, without any access to the tech team and no insider information about the infrastructure and tech stack
Duration: 1 week
Solutions and Impact:
We focused on two aspects:
- Technical stack: assessing the maturity of the technical stack, to gauge the level of risk undertaken by our client
- These findings were a good indication that the level of technical debt and the risk of security breaches was high. A complete rebuild of the system was to be planned after acquisition, hence substantially impacting the projected business plan and roadmap the investor had in mind.
- Website traffic volume: validating incoming traffic volumes with a breakdown on search keywords
- This validated key assumptions about the website’s substantial incoming traffic.
- It validated the engagement of the community.
Within a tight schedule, our client was able to confirm key technical and marketing assumptions and revisit its investment hypothesis.